Xiaomi Redmi 1S users can now enjoy Android 5.1.1 with MoKee OpenSource ROM. This custom ROM is based on the latest Android 5.1.1_r3 (build LMY48B) and patches the overheating issue that arise while charging Redmi 1S. Mokee is the Android Open Source development team based in China and the ROM is available [Details here] for many popular devices.
Today’s guide let you know how to update Redmi 1S to Android 5.1.1 (LMY48B) with MoKee custom ROM. This is a pre-rooted custom ROM and can be installed on a rooted Xiaomi Redmi 1S via latest custom recovery like TWRP. If your device is rooted and custom recovery installed, then read on the installation procedure given below.
Before you get start installing MoKee OpenSource ROM on Redmi 1S, please note that this is currently a nightly build which means the ROM is not completely stable. Though most things are work well, still there are a few problems remaining.
Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on Redmi 1S with MoKee ROM
WARNING: This procedure will void your device’s warranty. Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
Important: Backup every data on your phone before proceeding to install the custom ROM on Redmi 1S.
1. Download [HERE] MoKee ROM (Android 5.1.1 Lollipop build LMY48B) for Redmi 1S.
4. Now, connect your Redmi 1S to PC and transfer the download ROM zip file and Gapps zip file to your phone’s internal storage or root of SD card.
5. Then, disconnect the phone from PC and boot into recovery mode. To do so, power off your phone and press Power and Volume Up buttons together for a few seconds.
6. From recovery, make Nandroid backup of your current ROM, just in case.
7. Now, perform wipe. Select wipe -> Advanced wipe and select system, data, dalvik cache and cache.
8. Now, go back to recovery menu and select Install. Browse the Mokee ROM you have already saved and confirm the installation.
9. Similarly, install the Gapps package as well
10. Once the installation process is completed, perform wipe cache and dalvik cache and then reboot the phone.
Note: It will take some times for the first boot up. Enjoy Android 5.1.1 on your Redmi 1S (source)