The 2016’s flagship, OnePlus 3 is a developer friendly phone, which lets users install custom ROMs, tweak system internals, boost battery life, manage its monstrous 6GB RAM, but all required unlocked bootloader, custom recovery and root permission. If you are looking for a detailed guide on how to unlock bootloader, install TWRP custom recovery and root your OnePlus 3, follow the below guide.
OnePlus 3 comes with great hardware specs and features. Running on the Oxygen OS, which is based on Android Marshmallow 6.0.1, the device brings ‘unsettled’ performance. However, tech-savvy users might want to give a new lease of life to the device with custom ROMs, kernels, apps and tweaks. All these require unlocked bootloader, TWRP recovery and root access.
Before proceeding with the below steps, please note that it will wipe your OnePlus 3, so back up any data you have on the phone. Also note that, though unlocking OnePlus 3’s bootloader will not void its warranty, do it at your own risk.
Unlock Bootloader, Install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 3
Disclaimer: This guide is for advanced users only. We will not take responsibility for anything that goes wrong.
Prerequisites: The below procedure requires OnePlus 3 drivers installed on your computer. Also, ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer (refer this guide)
Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock on OnePlus 3 (Settings -> About Phone -> tap Build Number 7 times to enable Developer options. From Developer options, enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock)
Unlock OnePlus 3 bootloader
1. Connect OnePlus 3 to PC, then go to the ADB installation directory (C:/ADB) and open a command window from there (shift + right click anywhere within that folder, select open command prompt here)
2. Issue the below commands one by one. The first command will boot your device into fastboot mode and the second command will unlock bootloader:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
Warning: The process will wipe your device completely. Backup all data before proceeding.
3. Once the process is completed, your phone will reboot automatically.
Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 3 (Unofficial)
1. Download TWRP Recovery image file [HERE]
2. Rename the downloaded image file to twrp.img and copy it to the folder where the ADB is installed.
3. Connect your OnePlus 3 to your computer.
4. Open command window from ADB folder (Press Shift key, right click and select ‘open command window here’) and issue the following commands one by one:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
5. Wait for the process to finish, then issue below command to reboot your phone:
TWRP recovery is now installed on your OnePlus 3.
Rooting instruction for OnePlus 3
1. Download the SuperSU zip file [HERE] and move it to your OnePlus 3 internal memory.
2. Boot your device into the TWRP Recovery mode (to do so, turn off the phone off then press and hold volume down + power buttons).
3. Tap on “Install” and select the SuperSU zip file that you transferred to your device.
4. Wait until the flash is complete and then select reboot to our phone.
Your OnePlus 3 is now rooted. To verify, look for the SuperSU app in the app drawer (source – XDA)