A rooted, bootloader unlocked Moto E will not get the official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OTA update, but users can enjoy Lollipop by installing the update manually. This guide let you know how to install the latest Lollipop OTA on a rooted Moto E XT 1022 Indian version.
An XDA contributor, tech_master has captured the latest Lollipop soak OTA for Moto E XT1022 that you can install on your rooted Moto E, if you on stock Android 4.4 KitKat firmware. Also, you have not modified the system partitions or removed any packaged apps from your device. Doing so will end up with errors. If you do so, revert the changes back or customize the package as per the instructions given at the end of this post.
The installation of Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update on rooted Moto E is a cakewalk for a technically savvy user. Just place the downloaded firmware ZIP file on your SD card, boot up the device into custom recovery and flash the firmware. I will explain this in details below.
1. Download the firmware zip file [HERE] on your PC and transfer it to your device’s SD card.
2. Disconnect your phone from PC, turn it off and then boot it into custom recovery mode, for instance TWRP.
3. Select Wipe Data/Factory reset option to wipe data.
4. Then select “install”, browse the firmware zip file and flash it.
5. Once completed, wipe cache (it will fix boot loop issue)
6. Reboot your phone and enjoy Lollipop.
How to customize the package, if errors occur
If you have modified the system partitions and packaged apps, you will need to undo those changes before installing the firmware or customize the package as per the instructions given below. It requires technical knowledge and patience.
1. Copy the firmware ZIP to your PC and extract it (use 7zip).
2. Go to “
3. Edit the updater-script and remove the assert, “
apply_patch” and “
sha1_check” lines that refer to the files mentioned in the error you saw.
4.Once done, zip the folder again (Make sure that you don’t change the directory structure). Then download ZipSigner for Windows and sign the package.
5. Flash the signed ZIP and repeat the procedure for all errors you see.
You can follow the XDA thread for more details and discussion.