Motorola has started rolling out Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update for Moto G XT 1068 in India. If you have not received the OTA notification for the update on your phone, for instance due to unlocked bootloader, you can update your Moto G 2014 (XT 1068) to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop manually.
In the below guide, we will show you how to update Indian Moto G XT1068 to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop manually. This is an official firmware, which was released to Indian Moto G XT 1068 during the SOAK testing program. Follow the instruction carefully to install the update.
Warning: Though this is a 100% working guide, follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. Recommended for technically talented users only.
Important: Back up any important data before installing the firmware.
3. ADB and Fastboot installed on your PC (for installing TWRP recovery). Read this guide.
How to Update Indian Moto G XT1068 to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Manually
1. First, install TWRP recovery. For that, copy the downloaded “recovery.img” to adb folder in your PC.
2. Switch off your phone and boot into recovery mode (press Power + Vol Down buttons together). Then connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
3. From adb folder, open command prompt (press shift key, right click and select open command prompt here option), then issue the following command.
fastboot oem recovery recovery.img
Now, reboot your phone into TWRP recovery mode. From TWRP recovery, reboot to system.
Firmware Installation guide:
1. Extract the downloaded firmware file. You will get a folder named “lollipop 5.0.2”.
2. Now, on your PC create a folder and name it BACKUPS. Inside the BACKUPS folder, create a new folder and name it your phone’s serial number (go to Settings -> About Phone ->Status to get serial number). Inside the serial number folder copy and paste the “lollipop 5.0.2” folder. The folder structure now will be BACKUPS -> Serial no -> lollipop 5.0.2
3. Now, go to your phone’s memory card and look for a folder named TWRP (if not there, create one). Inside the TWRP folder, copy and paste the BACKUPS folder you just created.
4. Now, boot your phone into TWRP recovery and tap “Restore”. You will see “System” and “Boot” boxes are checked, leave like that and swipe to restore.
5. Once restored, go to the main TWRP menu and wipe cache, dalvik and data (it is necessary to fix boot loop issue). Then reboot your device.
Enjoy Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on Your 2nd Gen Moto G2. The new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop brings Material Design user interface as well several improvements both in performance and battery life. You will feel a more fast, fluid and touch responsive Moto G once you installed this update. (source – XDA)