Mi A1, the first Android One smartphone from Xiaomi that runs on stock Android 7.1.2 Nougat is a best performing device and comes with Google’s latest A/B portion system for seamless firmware update. Mi A1 is a developer friendly device, so you can unlock bootloader and root your Mi A1 without much effort. Read on to know how to unlock bootloader and root your Xiaomi Mi A1.
Unlocked bootloader, TWRP custom recovery and root access are prerequisites for getting development on Mi A1. Unlike other Mi devices, unlocking bootloader is very simple in Mi A1. After unlocking, you can get root via Magisk, or CF-Auto-Root. Both method does not require TWRP recovery (official TWRP recovery is not yet available for MI A1).
To unlock Xiaomi Mi A1 bootloader, you do not need to use the Mi Unlock tool. You can use the ADB command, just as in Nexus and Google Pixel devices. Onece you successfully unlock the bootloade, you can easily root MI A1 and install TWRP recovery.
The below guide will help you unlocking and rooting your Xiaomi Mi A1. Note that, TWRP is not available for the device now. Also note, this guide requires ADB and Fastboot driver set up on your PC (read this guide).
How to Unlock Mi A1 Bootloader
Note: Unlocking bootloader will void your warranty. Also, the processes will factory reset your device.
1. First, enable ‘Developer Options’ on your phone by tapping on Build Number repeatedly (Settings > About Phone > Build Number).
2. In Developer Options, enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking options.
3. Switch off the phone and press Power and Volume down buttons together to boot into fastboot mode.
4. Connect your device to PC and let the drivers to install.
5. Now got ADB directory and open a command window from there.
6. In the command prompt, type the below command to unlock the bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
This will unlock your device’s bootloader. In the screen, choose ‘Yes’ and it will reboot automatically.
How to Root Mi A1
1. Download Root Zip file from here, unzip it and save the file inside ADB installation folder.
2. Boot your Mi A1 into fastboot mode (power off and hold Power+Vol down buttons)
3. Connect the phone to your PC. Go to ADB directory (where extracted root file saved) and run ‘Root.bat’. Wait for some time, when it boots up you should have root access. (Source – XDA)