Motorola has announced the Android Oreo update for its mid-ranger Moto Z Play and started soak testing (beta testing) the OS on the device. Users can expect stable Android Oreo OAT (over-the-air) update soon on their device (usually it will take a month). However, if you are excited to try the latest Oreo right now on the device, you can install the soak test build right now and experience new features that the OS offers.
Check out the below guide to know how to install Moto Z Play Android Oreo update manually. Before going for the manual installation, check for the OTA update manually by going to Settings > About > System Update (recommended). If you cannot wait for the OTA, you may proceed with the manual installation.
We remind you that the below given file is soak test OTA for Moto Z Play and installed at your own risk. The OS might be unstable and buggy. Inexperienced users should NOT follow this guide.
Also note that, your Moto Z Play should be updated to NPNS26.118-22-2-12 version before installing this Oreo OTA update.
1. Back up all important data before proceeding with below steps
2. Make sure that you have at least 50% of charge before proceeding.
3. Make sure your device is running the software build NPNS26.118-22-2-12.
4. ADB and Fastboot driver setup on your computer.
How to Install Moto Z Play Android Oreo Update
1. Download Oreo OTA zip file (Blur_Version.27.1.28.addison.retail.en.US.zip) for Moto Z Play from here and save it where ADB is installed on your computer.
2. On your phone, enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB Debugging.
3. Boot your Moto Z Play into fastboot mode: Power off the phone, press Power + Volume Down buttons together. Select Recovery mode (use Vol Down) and press Power button. When you see dead Android robot, hold Power button and press Vol Up button.
4. In recovery, select “Apply update from ADB” and then connect your phone to your PC.
5. On your computer, go to the ADB folder and open a command window from there.
6. Type the below command and press Enter key:
7. If your device is listed, execute the below command to flash Oreo update on Moto Z Play.
adb sideload Blur_Version.27.1.28.addison.retail.en.US.zip
./adb sideload Blur_Version.27.1.28.addison.retail.en.US.zip
8. Wait for the process to complete and then reboot your device.
Any question? Leave it in the comment (Source – XDA)