Asus has rolled out Android 5.0 Lollipop update for the Zenfone 5 smartphone. Currently the Lollipop OTA (over the air) update is available for ZenFone 5 LTE (A500KL) variant and can be installed manually or via OTA. Other variant of ZenFone 5 as well as ZenFone 4 and ZenFone 6 will receive the Android 5.0 Lollipop update starting end of this month (May).
In this guide, we show you how to install Android 5.0 Lollipop update manually on Asus Zenfone 5. If you have not received the OTA notification message for Android 5.0 Lollipop update for some reasons, follow the guide given below to know where to download the official firmware and how to install it.
The Android 5.0 Lollipop update brings new features and apps to ZenFone 5 like the new lockscreen, revamped Dialer and Contacts app, Asus Auto-start Service Manager, improved VOIP phone call function, improved music function, revised Wallpaper function, and more.
How to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop Update on Asus Zenfone 5
Important: This guide is only for Asus ZenFone 5 (A500KL) variant. It will not work on other ZenFone 5 variant.
Also, please make sure your current software version is V188.8.131.52 before update to version V184.108.40.206. If not, update it first and follow the instruction below.
2. Setup ADB and Fastboot driver on your computer (Follow this instruction)
3. Copy the downloaded firmware zip file to the ADB folder (Usually it will be at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot)
4. Reboot your ZenFone 5 into fastboot mode. To do so, turn off your phone and then press Power + Volume down buttons together. When Android logo appears, press Volume up + Volume down and then release Volume up.
5. Connect your ZenFone to your PC with USB cable.
6. Open command prompt from the folder where ADB is located (Press shift key, right click and select open command window here)
7. Now, issue the command:
adb devices. Your ZenFone should be listed. If not listed, install proper driver for your phone and try again.
8. Now, issue the command:
adb sideload firmware.zip (In the place of firmware.zip type the correct file name of the firmware that you download earlier or rename the firmware as firmware.zip)
9. Wait until the process is complete. Once done, reboot your phone.
You have now successfully updated your ZenFone 5 to Android 5.0 Lollipop. Enjoy all the features of Lollipop along with ZenFone’s features.