Google Pixel phone’s dialer app (phone app) features a new calling UI, large buttons, circular caller ID icon and looks a bit like iOS dialer. Currently it is an exclusive feature of Pixel phone, however Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P owners can get it now by installing the Phone app version 5.1. For other smartphone owners, a modified Pixel dialer app is available.
If you would like to experience the new Pixel dialer app on your phone, a modified Google Dialer app is available for any Marshmallow phones. The app does not require root access and can be installed on any phone running on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later. Modified Pixel dialer app brings most features, but missing features like caller ID.
The calling UI of Pixel phone app/dialer app features your wallpaper as background with blue overlay color. In addition, you need to swipe up to answer a call and swipe down to reject calls. Here is how to get new Google dialer app on non-Pixel phone.
Developed by an XDA contributor Kolda_CZ, the modified dialer app works on any phone, if it is running on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later.
Note that the app is a Beta release, so you will experience bugs. Known bugs are given below:
– Application freezes while interacting with settings (Use settings directly, not through this app)
– Caller ID does not work
– Unable to delete individual calls from call log
1. Download modified Google dialer APK from XDA here and save it on your phone
2. Enable, unknown source option (Settings > Security > Unknown Sources) and then install the APK.
3. Now, go to Settings > Applications > Default Applications and switch Calling app