Samsung starting to release January 2018 security updates for Galaxy A5 (2017 edition) in various region. The OTA update weighs just 22MB and will be reached on Galaxy A5 SM-A520F variant in the coming days. Though the update does not include any new major features, it comes with some critical security fixes, so all users are recommended to update to this version.
The Galaxy A5 SM-A520F (A520FXXU4BRA8) January 2018 update is still based on Android 7.0 Nougat, but it includes 91 Google security fixes for the Android OS itself and 13 security fixes from Samsung. The update will also include general bug fixes, which ensures better experience on the phone.
If you own a Galaxy 5 2017, check for the OTA update. Go to phone Settings > About Phone > Software Update. Download and install the update, if it available.
If you have not got the update via OTA due to some reasons, you can download and install the update manually on your Galaxy A5 via Odin tool. Below is the download link and installation guide.
Full firmware details:
Device Name: Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)
Android version: Android 7.0 Nougat
Build Number: A520FXXU4BRA8
Android Security Patch Level: 1.01.2018
Download Samsung Galaxy A5 January 2018 Update and Install Manually
1. Download stock firmware for Galaxy A5 SM-A520F for your region from here.
2. Download Odin tool from here to your PC.
3. Enable ‘USB debugging’ and ‘OEM Unlock’ on your phone in Developer Options menu. To enable Developer Options, go to ‘About phone’ and tap the Build Number 7 times.
4. Unzip the Odin tool and run the exe file.
5. Boot A5 into Download mode (Press and hold Home + Volume Down + Power’ buttons together until you see the download mode screen).
6. Connect your device to PC, you will see an ID: COM port turned blue and Added message in Odin message box.
7. Now add the stock firmware file .tar or .md5 file (you downloaded from above) to the AP/PDA tab in Odin.
8. Make sure “Auto Reboot” and “F.Reset Time” are enabled in the Odin too.
9. If everything is OK, click Start button. Wait until you see ‘Pass‘message on Odin screen. Reboot your phone.
Any doubt regarding this post, let us know in the comment below. (source – Sammobile)